Friday, October 17, 2008

D.I.D. in Pictures

Did this once before and the blog got messed up so I deleted it.

It's a very simplistic explaination of what DID is like.

Growing up, it was like this:
Photobucket

There were many me's, all separate from each other, unaware of the others' existance. Only one alter could be in control of the body at one time.

Once I started my healing journey and became aware of all of the others, it felt like this:
Photobucket

I became aware enough of the adult me to see the others when I was in charge of the body. It felt like I had hundreds of people within me trying to get out.

Photobucket
Once I began to meet all of the alters and make some of them aware of me, the adult me, it became more like this:
Photobucket

I now understood there were no separate people living inside of me; it was all just ME, stuck at different points for different reasons, holding memories and emotions that I had been unable to handle during the present when they actually happened. It still did seem that each alter was so different from me; they all have different names and very few look like what I see in the mirror. We were still very separate and I could not typically remember what happened when alters were out.

And yes, it did seem that some of them were out to sabatoge or even kill me to silence us and keep the secrets.

I think where I am now is this:
Photobucket

I know the pieces are just me, and we will one day be one whole person who exists only in the present. It is like the puzzle pieces that make up Alli are all out of place and glued down to the table in the wrong spots. Each day, they seem to be easier to move into the correct position so that I can keep moving step by step from:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And just be
Photobucket

No comments: